Looking to lose weight and feel great? Ballroom dance is a great way to achieve both of those goals. Ballroom dancing increases balance, flexibility, works glutes and thigh muscles, and tones legs. Most ballroom dancers have been known to burn at least 400 calories per hour doing dances such as the Foxtrot, the Tango, the Waltz, and the Quickstep.
It takes more than just dancing to lose weight. You will need to create and maintain healthy eating habits. If you follow an energy filled, healthy diet, you’ll be dancing away pounds and fitting into slimmer dance outfits in no time.
Diet Tips for Ballroom Dancers
- Good eating habits can lessen recovery time from strains, help with growth of lean muscle, and repair soft tissue from injuries. Eating the right balance of food can improve concentration, focus, and increase energy.
- You can maintain a healthy diet, blood sugar level, and gain control over an appetite by enjoying 3 healthy meals a day and 2 nutritious snacks in between.
- Each meal should include a good source of protein. Choices of protein can include chicken, fish, nuts, and low-fat dairy.
- Consume 5-6 portions of fruits and vegetables each day
- Choose a healthier carbohydrate. Instead of breads, cereal, and pasta with white carbohydrates; go for whole & multi grains.
- Most importantly,Stay hydrated throughout the day – Drink plenty of water.
Breakfast Ideas for Ballroom Dancers
As the old saying goes “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. It is the meal that awakens your metabolism and provides your energy for the day.
Examples of a well balanced breakfast :
- Banana smoothie mixed with skim milk and an apple
- Oatmeal with skim milk with berries mixed in
- Whole grain toast with poached egg
- Low fat yogurt with fresh fruit
- Rice cakes with peanut butter
Lunch Ideas for Ballroom Dancers
Choose a meal that includes a medium amount of protein and high in carbs. A simple to digest meal will help you feel satisfied without making you feel tired after lunch.
Examples of healthy choices for lunch:
- Turkey sandwich made with whole wheat bread and grapes as a side
- Pasta with a side of fruit
- Vegetable soup with a side of whole grain toast
Dinner Ideas for Ballroom Dancers
For ballroom dancers, dinner is an important meal because it helps their bodies prepare for the next day and repair muscles and tissue. Dinners should include lean proteins and healthy fats.
Examples of healthy dinners:
- Pasta with meat sauce, whole wheat bread, broccoli ,low fat milk
- Tofu vegetable stir fry, brown rice, low fat milk
- Baked fish with roasted vegetables
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry
- Grilled chicken and salad with avocado
Snacks For Ballroom Dancers
To efficiently fuel your body, a dancer should consider eating smaller meals throughout every four hours. These snack size meals will keep you from feeling lethargic before lunch and dinner.
Great snacks for dancers would be
- Apples with peanut butter
- Cheese and crackers
- Low Fat Yogurt
- Raw veggies with hummus dip
- Mixed nuts
- If you have questions about achieving your weight loss goals through dance. Feel free to contact us.
Contact us to schedule your lesson
No Partner Necessary